Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Dambulla Cave Temple

This site has a new Temple, funded by Japan, at the foot of a huge rocky hill. There are also 5 caves a fair way up the hill where the more interesting and historically important things are found.

Where matters of Buddhism are concerned I have thought that the Japanese have always showed good taste.  I wonder if the Sri Lankans  accepted an offer from a Hello Kitty franchise by mistake?

 Disregarding that mess, and pressing on up the hill the caves are rather fantastic.  Some of the images are a bit dark as I don't like using a flash in public spaces.

This first one shows the frescoes painted on the feet of a Buddha.
 The detail on the shade is incredible.








 This is a King.  I believe it to be a gentleman who did a lot to maintain the buddhas and thecaves.
 A small stupa in a cave.  I can't remember which relic is inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment